Bailey Contemporary Arts (“BaCA”) is located in the historic Bailey Hotel building. Built in 1932, the historic Bailey Hotel is now the center piece of the emerging Creative Arts District in Downtown Pompano Beach and is a thriving hub for visual arts, culture and education for the community.
On the second floor, the original hotel rooms were transformed into artist studios with glass windows enabling visitors to watch the production of the visual art creations. Downstairs, there are diverse and dynamic exhibitions held in the main gallery spaces.
City / CRA Investment
- In 2012, the CRA purchased the building for $370,000 and completed over $1.3 million in renovations in 2014
- Access to a state of the art historic cultural facility
- Exposure to visual and cultural arts
- A low cost venue for entertainment and community gatherings
- An enhanced brand to support the City’s cultural presence
- Quality of life venue
How it Happened
- Two business owners had acquired the site at the behest of a County Commissioner to save the historic structure but could not afford to improve it. The building had sat vacant and boarded-up for 12 years.
- The CRA negotiated the purchase of the property and used their construction manager to oversee the renovation of the building.
- The construction team had to build walls over the existing walls that were crumbling.
- On May 14, 2014, the Bailey Contemporary Arts (BaCA) opened.
- The CRA has fulfilled its mission of cultivating, incubating and nurturing a vibrant visual arts community that enriches the City of Pompano Beach.
- Management of the facility was placed under the City of Pompano Beach Cultural Arts Department October 2018.